Yo Yo Variation (Hexagon)

The other day when I was looking for yoyo tutorials I happened on this variation.

Photobucket

The tutorial can be found at:

http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple.blogspot.com/2008/06/tutorial-folded-hexagon-yo-yo.html

I "folded" the idea into my brain. Last night, after a conversation about making souvenir yoyo ornaments from old clothing, I figured out how I wanted to use it.

This is a picture of dear departed father-in-law removing his famous banana bread from the oven. He is wearing his favorite shirt. He had me cut the sleeves off. (Note that he asked me roll the hem to the right side. He thought it would be less irritating that way.)

Photobucket

After he died I was very tempted to save the shirt, and the jeans, to make a souvenir. I couldn't think of a specific project so I resisted the urge. Yesterday I was surprised to discover that I still had the two sleeves in a drawer.

So this is my hexangonal yoyo souvenir of my father-in-law. The button is from the sleeve.

Photobucket

I made this one from a 3 1/2 inch circle, which is a good size for a fridge magnet. (I did apply iron on interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric. I didn't need to do any pinning or sewing, except to sew on the button.) I think I'll make two more just a little bit bigger and make a reversible ornament.

(Postscript At Christmas I made 6 more of the reversible ornaments and gave them to my husband's brothers and sisters.)


Playing with Hexagonal Yoyos


I made these three into fridge magnets and sent them to the friend who inspired me to think about yoyos as souvenirs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some more yoyos to play with...

Photobucket

Photobucket





Photobucket
Pinwheel 2009

2 comments:

  1. Love them all, but especially the one made from your grandfather's shirt. What a fabulous momento you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very lucky to be a friend and the recipient of the three refrigerator magnets. Photos are beautiful but I love having the real deal. Buttons are perfectly matched with each one, as is the thead that attaches them. Attention to detail, oh Queen of Yoyos, is your hallmark. As is your creativity.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete